“One of the big misconceptions is this idea that if I’m building a network that means that I just need to meet as many people as possible.” – David Burkus
When someone says networking, you likely think meeting strangers in order to grow your connections. What if the best way to grow your network isn’t by introducing yourself to strangers at cocktail parties, handing out business cards, or signing up for the latest online networking tool. Instead, you focus on developing a better understanding of the existing network that’s already around you?
Best-selling author, David Burkus joins me on this episode of Sale Side Selling to share a startling new look at the art and science of networking.
Listen to this episode and discover:
- The biggest misconception when it comes to networking.
- Why the closest people in your network may not provide the most value to you.
- The importance of hidden networks.
- And so much more…
David Burkus is a best-selling author, keynote speaker, and associate professor of leadership and innovation at Oral Roberts University. His newest book, Friend of a Friend, offers readers a new perspective on how to grow your network and build key connections—one based on the science of human behavior, not rote networking advice.
In this episode, David talks about:
- How to gain more value out of those weak and dormant ties in your network.
- Ways you can find a path to just about anybody that you want to meet.
- Why the perfectly worded elevator pitch likely sets you up for failure.
- How to make a memorable first impression.
Forget the outdated advice you already know about networking. David says, ” In your network, there are these weakened, dormant ties, people you know, but you don’t know that well or you haven’t talked to in a long time that provides just as much new information, new potential referrals to other sources, new potential introductions.” David shares methods to help you make use of the hidden networks you already have.
Are you ready to transform your approach to networking? Tune into Same Side Selling to get a ton of incredible insight!
- Discover David’s new book: Friend of a Friend: Understanding the Hidden Networks That Can Transform Your Life and Your Career
- Download David’s free guide: 8 Questions to Ask Someone Other Than “What Do You Do?”
Ever wondered what happens after you click send on an email?
Thanks to our sponsor, MailTag, you no longer have to wonder.
Start your completely free 14-day trial and begin tracking your emails right now (no credit card required). Here’s the best part — You can save 50% on your subscription when you apply the code “IAN” at checkout. Happy emailing!
What’s On Your Mind
As always, this episode provides inspiration, entertainment, and especially an actionable message that can drive remarkable results – and if you have any questions for a future episode, contact me.