“How do you break through fear? How do you not let it control you, not let it hold you back or delay you?” – Waldo Waldman
Fear and sales don’t usually mix well. When you’re paralyzed by fear, it’s hard to perform at the highest possible level.
But, as Waldo Waldman points out, it’s inescapable. We’re all afraid of something and, at every level of a career, we inevitably encounter things that we’re afraid of. Whether it’s a skill like public speaking or a particular situation like leading a team, certain things are going to leave us shaking in our boots. However, fear isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Instead, it’s an opportunity to learn and grow.
On this episode, Waldo Waldman joins me to discuss fear. Specifically, we discuss how it applies to sales and business.
Listen to this episode and discover:
- Some common misconceptions about high performance and fear
- Why fear can be a productive emotion for salespeople.
- How top performers use their fears to learn and grow.
- And so much more…
I imagine that many of you have already heard the name Waldo Waldman. He’s the author of Never Fly Solo, a book on both the New York Times and Wall Street Journal’s bestselling lists. He’s also a Retired Air Force Lt. Colonel. His military experience informs his work as a keynote speaker and a manager of high-performing sales teams.
Waldo is an all-around great guy and I’m excited to have him on the podcast.
In this episode, Waldo talks about:
- What he learned about fear from flying combat missions for the US Air Force.
- His personal journey in overcoming fear as a businessman.
- Why some salespeople fear feedback.
- The importance of a “wingman” in the sales world.
- How practice can help you move past your fears.
Waldo stresses that every great salesperson is afraid of something, no matter how it may appear from the outside. “There’s this idea that peak performers are fearless and nothing stands in their way,” he says, “But, nothing could be further from the truth. They just have the ability to take their fear, acknowledge it, and still perform despite it.”
So, if you feel like fear is holding you back from reaching your full potential, tune in to this episode of Same Side Selling!
LinkedIn: Waldo Waldman
- Waldo’s official website
- The Never Fly Solo website
- Same Side Improv helps teams to practice real-world business situations to reinforce skills.
- Same Side Selling Quadrant Journal maintain focus on gathering the right pieces of information during a business meeting to tell you if an opportunity is real or not real.
From Our Sponsor
Make Better Sales Hiring Decisions!
Uncover the dos and don’ts of sales interviewing and how to identifying top salespeople in an interview. Best of all it’s free to our listeners! Download a copy of the Ultimate Guide To Interviewing Sales Professionals
Need help finding sales and sales leadership talent to drive revenue and growth? Contact Peak Sales Recruiting
What’s On Your Mind
As always, this episode provides inspiration, entertainment, and especially an actionable message that can drive remarkable results – and if you have any questions for a future episode, contact me.